Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Brainstorming on wikis

Below is how I’m envisioning introducing the wiki assignment:

I. Explanation
A. Explain to students what I’m doing for my graduate class
B. Explain to students what a wiki is

II. Modeling
A. Show students where the wiki is, how to access it, how to add various items, etc.

III. Rules/Regulations
A. Go through parameters – what is acceptable and what isn’t
1. Links
2. Language
3. The rules in the classroom apply – even when you aren’t in the classroom
B. Have students sign off on wiki agreement (it’s on Vennemeyer’s wiki under “Getting Started”)
C. Put notice on Edline for parents; have parents sign off, too

Wiki ideas:
· I want it to be private: just my students and me
· I’ll have my wiki page (so I can model for my students). Students will then access their pages from my page. (Is this right???)
· I want students to post various items. In the beginning, they’ll post the various things they love (music, movies, favorite excerpts from the stuff they’ve read, etc.) to show their individuality. I’ll have students open discussions; they’ll respond to other students’ likes/dislikes (and I’ll respond, too).
· Later, students will post excerpts of their writing, where they’ll work on various writing skills (e.g. characterization; symbolism; grammar; punctuation; etc.)
· Students will also post various texts they’ve found, and then open a discussion on those texts. Students (and I) will be able to have a conversation about the postings.
· Occasionally I’ll post various texts and have students discuss (and I’ll provide feedback, too).

Blog ideas:
· I want students to read my blog daily. My blog will be general musings, but it’ll also be me talking about writing and analyzing literature, and me modeling various skills we go through in class. I’ll also post links for students on various items (from my favorite You Tube videos to grammar exercises on the web to writing I’ve discovered that I want students to copy and paste and analyze on their wikis).

6 comments:

  1. Fred,
    Great!! It sounds think you are ready to get started. One question, are students required to participate? If so, how are you going to score or keep track of participation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fred,

    I love the idea of you blogging daily about what happened during daily activites. What a great idea about having links in the blog which could help students who are struggling with concepts investigated recently in class. Is your blog going to be embedded into your wikispace? Or will students go to a separate site? I'll definitely be shadowing your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment #1: A reply to one your comments on MY blog that I accidentally posted to my own blog. I'm an idiot. See below:

    Kathryn Klahm said...
    Absolutely. I'll check it all out sometime this week and give you some feedback. I think the biggest point is to schedule some lab time with your students so that they can register for the Wiki all at once (and you can approve their registration all at once).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Comment #2 (the actual one I promised):

    I think all of your ideas for the Wiki look great. I am going to remember this post of yours when I want to fully set up my own page and assist the students. :)

    I like the idea of posting the Wiki Waiver/Agreement to EdLine so that they, too, can sign off on it. I think I'll do that as well.

    Yes, the students should be able to access their own pages on the Wiki once they create new pages. (You'll have to model how to do this for them.) You'll, of course, want to lock your own page so that the students can't edit it. The students can choose to either lock theirs or keep them unlocked (depending on when you want them to go in and edit each others' work).

    Lastly, I like the idea of having the post and write about different texts they've read. Great idea! :)

    The only difference is that I'm not going to have my students read my blog. Even though it's a professional publication, it feels too personal and outside my comfort zone to share this with them. Also, I think I'm totally going to have my hands full with grading and assessing Wiki postings and participation... so tracking that they read my blog would be way too overwhelming for me. (FYI... I have 91 students, and I have all 91 the whole year.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fred,

    Im really excited to hear about the outcomes of this projects. I think it is great that we are going to be able to share our experiences with each other so we all can learn about what work well and what doesn't. Your plan sounds great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, all, for the feedback. Kelly, if you happen to come back here: I'd like to require participation ... but I'm not sure if I can. That's a great question!

    ReplyDelete