Wednesday, February 18, 2009

NETS T1: A Second Look

For this blog, I'm going to continue to look at the NETS T1 standard, which you can find here: http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf%20focuses


I'd still like to focus on the following two standards:



d. model collaborative knowledge and construction by engaging in learning with students, colleagues, and others in face-to-face and virtual environments



c. promote student reflection using collaborative tools to reveal and clarify students’ conceptual understanding and thinking, planning, and creative processes



In my prior post, I talked of the frustration of searching for teachers who've already experimented with wikis/blogs as a way to engage more students - and engage them more effectively. Katie made a good point in her comments: I need to talk to our technology coordinator (Randy Doughman). Certainly he would have a plethora of ideas.


Katie also mentioned two language arts teachers in her building who use wikis for their classrooms, so those could be two excellent resources. Way to go Katie! Thanks so much for the suggestions!


And hey ... now that I think about it ... maybe even that Vennemeyer guy might have some ideas ... hmmmmmm... :)

I will say that, even if I am the guinea pig in many respects when it comes to trying new ideas, I enjoy that role, and I'm very comfortable with sharing with my students the risks that I take. In fact, I relish this role: I want my students to see that I'm constantly challenging myself to be better. And, because I do believe firmly in student-centered learning, maybe my students themselves should be a part of this process. What if I included them in helping me design the class? After all, they're the clients. They're the ones who would have insight into what would've helped them perform better in my class.


Maybe part of my project will include having students work with me to design this new component to Honors II.


** POSSIBLE SUCCESS ALERT! ** POSSIBLE SUCCESS ALERT! **


Just found this website: http://www.visualthesaurus.com/cm/teachersatwork/1371/ The teacher, Shannon Reed (soooooo close to a great last name!), a teacher at Brooklyn Theatre Arts High School, brings up some great points about wikis (e.g. what if your students don't have easy access to a computer?) She also has some links for possible blog sites and links where people have compared wiki farms: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wiki_farms

Reed also mentions "an engrossing blog about using blogs in education." The website - http://weblogg-ed.com/ - looks fascinating. Now I need to spend a lot of time going through all the entries/links.

I feel like I'm getting somewhere ... but I also feel like the more I uncover, the more layers I have left to peel back. And if they're onion layers ... well ... I might just start crying.

;)

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of having the students work with you to design the new component to Honors II! It would be collaborative and engaging. The project would promote student reflection, clarify students’ conceptual understanding, thinking, planning, and creative processes in face-to-face and virtual environments!

    Jim :-)

    For great ideas from Randy visit http://randystechtactics.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen Will speak on at least 4 occasions. He was my first inspiration into the world of technology and collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fred,

    I'm glad you found my suggestions helpful! I also think it's awesome that you're willing to show your students that you are sometimes the "guinea pig" and that you don't always have all the answers. This probably makes you seem more "real" to them-- not someone who just puts scores on their essays.

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy: how about that? It's a small world.

    But I wouldn't want to paint it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fred, you're hilarious! Yes, you were successful in your findings. I am also certified in Language Arts, so this is interesting to me. I have not found a way that I want to use Wikis with my Math students yet, but I would definitely use it in Language Arts.

    ReplyDelete